This B-week in Room 2808…
- The ACT will be given to all juniors **who completed their pre-test bubbling** on Tuesday this week. Testing will last until ~12/12:30. Please get a good night’s rest, eat a good breakfast, and come a bit early so you can find your testing location and get checked in — BRING YOUR ID!
- The AP Exam Registration site is now active. You can start registering for your AP courses NOW. The deadline is TUESDAY, February 28, 2018. If you are not enrolled in an AP course (e.g., enrolled in an Honors section) but intend to take an AP test, you will have to pay the $94 AP exam fee. Also, any student who signs up to take an exam and doesn’t show up will be charged a $15 fee. See Mr. Brown (AP in the East) or Mrs. Miller (Dean of Student Services) with any questions.
- We have early release this Friday @ 11:40 for teacher professional development.
ENGLISH 3/AMERICAN LITERATURE
- Focus on Poetry from the Civil War literature period
- we will begin learning about poet Walt Whitman with “Famous Authors’ ‘Walt Whitman'” documentary, about one of the most influential poets of this time period — 45 NUMBERED notes that follow the entirety of the video
- “The Song of Myself” (Whitman, from CommonLit.org) and whitman-YOUR-Song-of-Myself-project.
A-day projects due Mon., March 5; B-day poem projects due Tues., March 6
- Also, possibly, “A Noiseless, Patient Spider,” “O’ Captain! My Captain,” “When Lilacs Last in the Doorway Bloom’d,” “I Hear American Singing,” with Claude McKay’s “American”
AP ENGLISH LANGUAGE & COMPOSITION
- All AP-released exam materials (MC tests and FRQs) will be distributed in class; they cannot be posted by anyone other than the College Board.
- JFK Steel Speech (prompt) – your draft analysis, peer edits
- JFK Speech Analysis (PDF) — once you’ve seen this, please revise your paper (handwritten, 40 minutes max.) and bring your first draft, peer edit, and revision to class on Friday.
- In-class student samples, analysis with your “two,” and scoring commentary
- Video: The Power of Words (another type of visual medium to analyze)