This week in Room 2808…
- The Raleigh Fine Arts Society (RFAS) is now accepting original short-story submissions for its 2018 Literary Contest. The student deadline for submissions is midnight on January 18. To do this, have your student go to raleighfinearts.org, select Literary Contest and click on Submit a manuscript. Be sure to list Melissa Ausley (firstname.lastname@example.org) as your English teacher so that I can approve your story for submission to the judges. For a student’s story to be approved and sent to the judges for scoring, the English teacher must give it a THUMBS UP before midnight on January 25, 2018. You can find more information on RFAS 2018 Literary Contest brochure.
ENGLISH 3/AMERICAN LITERATURE
- Biography video notes, Edgar Allan Poe (30 complete, numbered facts)
- “The Tell-Tale Heart” (Poe) performed by Vincent Price
- Nathaniel Hawthorne’s story, “The Minister’s Black Veil” (a story about secret sin) p. 266, compared with Ali Deb’s short story “The Three-Piece Suit” p. 278. Complete p. 283 Compare Symbols (#1-3) and Compare Motivation (3 bullets).
- Poets: James Russell Lowell, Oliver Wendell Holmes, William Cullen Bryant, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Ralph Waldo Emerson
AP ENGLISH LANGUAGE & COMPOSITION/HONORS ENGLISH 3
- read “In Cold Blood” Part 1
- Part 1 small group activity
- read Part 2 by Monday 12/18 and half of Part 3 by Wednesday 12/20