This week in Room 2808…
- Welcome back from break! I hope you ate, slept, and shopped to your heart’s content!
- If you missed the test from the week before Thanksgiving (Academic English III: Unit 2, Revolutionary Lit; APLC: multiple choice), it is YOUR responsibility to arrange a time with me to make that up ASAP.
- Completed Academic Recovery Contract packets are due THIS TUESDAY (11/28), no exceptions. I will not seek you out to get your work.
- INTERIM REPORTS GO HOME NEXT WEEK
- The Raleigh Fine Arts Society (RFAS) is now accepting original short-story submissions for its 2018 Literary Contest. The student deadline for submissions is midnight on January 18. To do this, have your student go to raleighfinearts.org, select Literary Contest and click on Submit a manuscript. Be sure to list Melissa Ausley (email@example.com) as your English teacher so that I can approve your story for submission to the judges. For a student’s story to be approved and sent to the judges for scoring, the English teacher must give it a THUMBS UP before midnight on January 25, 2018. You can find more information on RFAS 2018 Literary Contest brochure.
ENGLISH 3/AMERICAN LITERATURE
- Unit 3: Post-Revolutionary lit/Early American Romanticism (PPT Notes) — if you missed class, you need to WRITE THESE NOTES OUT. You will not be able to use these printed notes for any open-note assessment.
- Wednesday: “Rip Van Winkle” (Irving/Deidrich Knickerbocker — audio recording so you can follow along) and close reading questions (Friday)
- Poets: James Russell Lowell, Oliver Wendell Holmes, William Cullen Bryant, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Ralph Waldo Emerson
AP ENGLISH LANGUAGE & COMPOSITION/HONORS ENGLISH 3
- Review multiple-choice practice AP-style test from the Friday before break (Addison, Bacon, Chesterton)
- APLC Unfamiliar Vocab List (generated from your input on said test…) — TEST MONDAY 12/4
- Upcoming Novels: “In Cold Blood” (Truman Capote — have in hand, in class on Wed. 12/6) and “Of Mice & Men” (John Steinbeck)
- Syntax/Sentence Structure lesson